Tuesday 19 April 2011

Engraving on paper


Many plants in the meadows alongside the edge of the moor are bursting into life now, yet these brambles are still dominated by last years old scratchy growth.  Their prickly tangles make me think of the impenetrable domains of fairytale.

I enjoy drawing with my cordless engraver.  The tip rips into the paper (like a thorn in skin) and it takes a bit of getting used to, but I love the lines that result, they have an affinity with the fuzzy monoprint line.



Another exciting feature is that the engraved marks are especially absorbent so any applied paint comes out darker than the smooth paper surrounding them.


In this close up its hard to distinguish between the cast shadows of the brambles and my drawing inspired by them.



No comments:

Post a Comment